Country: Poland
Date: 22nd May 2019

fasting with eating disorder

Question

I am in recovery from eating disorders ( bulimia, orthorexia, anorexia ) - mental illness, which destroyed my health in last 10 years. In may start my 5th month of mine recovery. I follow recovery plan, eating when I am hungry, but my doctor doesn't accept any fasting in Ramadan. I don't have a period, still have thoughts of suicide, the disturbed image of the body and I fights with losing weight desire. ED is taboo in the Muslim community. Most people don't treat it seriously, same like my husband. He doesn't understand that fasting will strengthen my eating disorder and he tries to force me to fast in this year. He asked me to find any fatwa about that, but I didn't. Please, help me ... 

Answer

In principle, if a reliable doctor states that fasting would be detrimental to one’s health, it is permissible not to fast and to make up the fast later.[1]

According to the information you provided, if fasting would really be detrimental to your health, you may refrain from fasting until you have recovered.

It is advisable for you to maintain the treatment plan provided by your psychiatrist. You should continue in other forms of ‘ibada (worship) during Ramadan, keeping in mind that all ‘ibada is more rewarding during that month.

We ask Allah to grant you good health and to reward you for all your struggles.

And Allah Ta‘ālā Knows Best.

[1]

[البقرة: 184، 185]

{(184) شَهْرُ رَمَضَانَ الَّذِي أُنْزِلَ فِيهِ الْقُرْآنُ هُدًى لِلنَّاسِ وَبَيِّنَاتٍ مِنَ الْهُدَى وَالْفُرْقَانِ فَمَنْ شَهِدَ مِنْكُمُ الشَّهْرَ فَلْيَصُمْهُ وَمَنْ كَانَ مَرِيضًا أَوْ عَلَى سَفَرٍ فَعِدَّةٌ مِنْ أَيَّامٍ أُخَرَ يُرِيدُ اللَّهُ بِكُمُ الْيُسْرَ وَلَا يُرِيدُ بِكُمُ الْعُسْرَ وَلِتُكْمِلُوا الْعِدَّةَ وَلِتُكَبِّرُوا اللَّهَ عَلَى مَا هَدَاكُمْ وَلَعَلَّكُمْ تَشْكُرُونَ (185)}

الأصل للشيباني ط قطر (٢/١٦٥)

قلت: أرأيت المريض يمرض قبل دخول شهر رمضان، فلا يزال مريضاً حتى ينسلخ شهر رمضان ثم يموت؟ قال: ليس عليه من قضاء شهر رمضان شيء؛ لأنه لم يصح ولم يبرأ حتى مات.

شرح مختصر الطحاوي للجصاص (2/ 446)

مسألة: [إباحة الفطر للمريض إذا ضره المرض]

قال: (ومن خاف أن تزداد عينه وجعًا، أو يزداد حماه شدة: أفطر وقضى).