Title: Working as a Finance Professor

Question

Asalamualaikum,

I am Working as Finance Professor in India.

I have to Teach the Advantages of Loan and Interest as it is given in the Syllabus and Loan is the Cheapest Source of Finance and Tax Deduction is Allowed on Payment of Interest.

I Also Teach Accounts in Which I had to Solve Some Problems on Loan and Interest and Show the Students How To Calculate Interest

In India there are No Interest Free Loans

And I am Just Teaching and not Consuming or Paying Interest

1. Am I Doing any Sin Gunah by Just Teaching and Calculating Interest ?

2. Is my Job Halal or Haram ?

3.Suppose I Earn 1000 Rupees Money Daily and Earned 100 Rupees for Teaching Advantages of Interest and 100 Rupees for Teaching Calculation of interest Then That 200. Rupees Money is Haram and 800 Rupees Money Halal ?

Please Answer in Detail

Jazakallah.

Answer

Brother in Islaam,

Your desire to earn a Halaal income is praiseworthy. May Allaah grant you barakah in all your permissible endeavors. Aameen.

As Muslims, we are averse to anything related to interest. You state, “I have to Teach the Advantages of Loan and Interest”.  According to Shari’ah, there are no advantages in an interest bearing loan. Interest is clearly haraam. To teach advantages of loan and interest goes against our beliefs regarding harms in interest. It is not permissible to directly or indirectly promote interest bearing loans.

Accordingly, you should apply your discretion to see what percentage of your teaching was in teaching the alleged advantages of loan and interest. You should then deduct that amount from your daily income and disburse it in charity without expectation of reward[1].

[1]  حاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (6/ 385)

ويردونها على أربابها إن عرفوهم ، وإِلا تصدقوا بها لِأَن سبِيل الكسب الْخبيث التصدق إذا تعذر الرد على صاحبه

البحر الرائق شرح كنز الدقائق (8/ 229)

وإلا يتصدقوا به؛ لأن سبيل الكسب الخبيث التصدق إذا تعذر الرد

تبيين الحقائق شرح كنز الدقائق (6/ 27)

وإلا تصدقوا بها؛ لأن سبيل الكسب الخبيث التصدق إذا تعذر الرد على صاحبه.

احسن الفتاوى (7/ 16)

فتاوى محموديه (16/ 381)