Asked Country: Romania

Title: Zakaat related

Question

Assalaam alaikum I had worked in a university as lecturer on hourly bases for which the university was supposed to pay me after each semester (4-5months). I worked for two semesters and was expecting my salary. I started in September 2015 and worked till May 2016. But they didnt pay me. Whenever my husband used to enquire they used to say in process and then they started to tell that i was not on formal contract that’s why i wont be paid and we were not expecting my salary now. But then in November 2017 they credited my account. My question is that am I supposed to give zakat on this salary or not. If yes then for how many years zakat is due. I started to work after i gave 2015 zakat of my gold and belongings. As soon as i got my salary I bought a car within a month with almost 85% of my salary. So the remaining amount i have is only 15%.

Answer

Sister in Islaam,

According to our understanding from the contents of your query, you only became owner of the money in November 2017. Prior to this, you did not have ownership of the money in reference nor possession. Thereafter, you purchased a car with most of the money, i.e. 85%.

Hence, you will only include the remaining 15% when calculating your annual zakaah. There is no zakaah on the 85% you have spent or for the previous years.

You may refer to the following link for guidelines on zakaah calculation.

http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/17114

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best