Title: Mojitos and daiquiris

Question

Assalaamu alaykum

Respected Mufti Saheb

I hope that this correspondence finds you in the best of health.

Recently, I was informed by someone that to call a drink a mojito or daiquiri is impermissible. When I researched it, a virgin mojito is made with lemon, ice, mint leaves and something like Sprite.

I've always ordered these drinks at halāl establishments like Adega, Casablanca, Sunkist etc. It obviously doesn't contain alcohol. When I make these drinks for guests etc, I call it by the same name. 

I intend selling these drinks, Cranberry Mojitos (which is just a fancy name for cranberry cooler and Sprite with lemon and mint) at a ladies fundraiser fair coming up for Ghouta, when I was informed by the coordinator that I need to change the name. 

Please advise me on this issue.

Jazakallah Khayr

Assalaamu alaykum

Answer

Traditionally, a mojito is a cocktail that consists of five ingredients: white rum, sugar (traditionally sugar cane juice), lime juice, soda water, and mint.

While the non-alcoholic drink is permissible, the name mojito etc. has association with alcoholic drinks. We advise against such names for halal drinks.

Huzaifah Deedat

______________

http://wiki.ubc.ca/Mojito_(History)