Asked Country: Qatar

Title: How can I become close to Allah?

Question

Respected Mufti Saab

I am a divorced sister in need of a spiritual guide to reform myself to attain closeness to اللَّهُ Subhana wa Ta'ala.

Please advise me how to go about it. 

جَزَاكَ اللّهُ khayran 

Answer

The desire within you to attain closeness to Allah Ta’āla is a gift and tawfiq from Allah Ta’āla. Value the thought and act upon it without any hesitation before the thought escapes your heart and you lose the tawfiq to practice upon it. May Allah grant all of us his Marifat (gnosis) and Mahabbah (divine love). Ameen.

There are two things:

1. Islaahe Nafs

2. Bay’ah

Islaahe Nafs is Fardh (obligatory) whereas, Bay’ah is Sunnah.

The purpose of Bay’ah is reformation. If one is able to reform himself, then the purpose of Bay’ah is achieved. However, from a practical point of view, it is difficult for a person to reform his own self. It is, therefore, advisable for one wishing to reform himself to identify a compatible spiritual guide to help him reform himself. 

For further information on the topic you may read the following book, what is the reality of Bay’ah and Spiritual Reformation?

http://daruliftaa.net/index.php/resources/publications/finish/27-publications/938-the-reality-of-bayah-modified-version

In the meanwhile, we advise you to do the following;

1. Constantly remind yourself of the purpose of your existence - the worship of Allah.
  2. Contemplate on the virtues of making Ibadah and the punishments we have been warned against,
  3. Perform your five salaah with punctuality.
  4. Abstain from all sins. If you commit a sin make tawbah immediately.
  5. Ponder over death,
  6. Constantly cry and beg to Allah Taala to assist you in becoming a perfect Muslim,
  7. Recite a specified portion of the Qur'an daily.
  8. Be punctual in doing your morning and evening azkār:
  • 100 times Astaghfirullah
  • 100 times Durood Shareef
  • 100 times third kalimah (Subhanallah walhamdulillahi wa la ilaha illallahu wallahu akbar)

We make dua Allah Taala assist you in all your pious resolutions. Ameen.

Huzaifah Deedat