Asked Country: Hong Kong

Title: What should be done with stationery given to students?

Question

As salaam alaikum

Respected Mufti saheb

It is my fervent dua that you are well.

I have a query

The schools these days ask for each student to bring stationary for his/her use for the year. It is normally given as " student stationary requirements list"

My query is

1) should the student not use up the all the stationary shouldn't it be returned to the student IE the books etc.

2) the list includes thing's like photo copying paper, this comes in packs of 500. At times the schools ask for 2 reams per child, does the excess unfinished packs of paper have to b returned to each student, this I understand is to copy worksheet etc for the student but no student gets 1000 or even 500 pages from the school.what should the school do?

Jazakalkahu khairan

Answer

We apologize for the belated response.

If a school gives students a stationery requirement list for their personal use, then the stationery belongs to the student.

If there is any stationery left over, the remainder should be returned to that particular student.[1]

Saad Haque

New Jersey, USA 

[1] النتف في الفتاوى (2/ 600) - أبو الحسن علي بن الحسين بن محمد السُّغْدي، حنفي (المتوفى: 461هـ) | دار الفرقان / مؤسسة الرسالة - عمان الأردن / بيروت لبنان

فَأَما الْوكَالَة فِي دفع الامانات وَقَبضهَا فجائزة