Asked Country: Ukraine

Title: Muhammad Asad; The Road to Mecca

respected mufti sahab I got a book named " THE ROAD TO MECCA" which is auto biography of an european revert to islam MUHAMMAD ASAD who has also written a famous translation of quran. May I read the book "THE ROAD TO MECCA" or not??? Please advise.

waiting for ur reply

Brother in Islaam,

The author in reference holds extremely problematic beliefs that are not in accordance to the beliefs of the Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jamaa’ah. Hence, it would be best to avoid all his works.

Hereunder, we list a few of his deviated beliefs:

• Muhammad Asad was a perennialist, i.e. followers of other religions will also be successful in the Hereafter.
  • Jinns are legends.
  • Prophets are not innocent and are fallible.
  • Sayyiduna ‘Isa (‘Alaihis salaam) has already passed away. Hence, he will not return.
  • Sayyiduna ‘Isa (‘Alaihis salaam) did not give life to people or treat them.
  • Sayyiduna Moosa (‘Alaihis salaam) did not split the Red Sea.
  • Birds did not attack Abrahah and his army of elephants.
  • The angels did not aid the Muslims in the battles.
  • He denies miracles. Any verse which denotes miracles are all metaphorical.

It should be noted that Muhammad Asad was greatly influenced by Rashid Ridha, Muhammad ‘Abdo and their likes.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best

DISCLAIMER - questions answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of