Fatwa: # 40055
Category: Marriage & Divorce
Country: Canada
Date: 5th September 2018


What can I do in regards to my rude husband?


my husband and i are married for the past 5 years.after 3months of our marriage my husband physically abused me.i gave him a chance thinking i should work on my marriage and thinking about my family.a year later, he did the same thing. now we dont live together. he verbally divoced me once, but we started living together again.he convinced me that it is not valid.the second time divorced me on the phone.He said if u take me to canada, i will divorce u right away legally and u dnt have to go through anything, cuz my family will not support me if i want to divorce him.he promised n said all he want is a pr to come to canada, and then he will legally divorce me.I have started hating him.my parents still want me to try.his aunt has verbally abused me.I have given my best and have tried to the fullest.recently he spoke to my family members and changed his words that he doesnt want to come for canadian pr but only to save our marriage. he has done this several times.he abused me n said sorry n said this will never happen again, but he did it again and i know he will not change.what should i do?


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, The Most Merciful.

As-salaamu `alaykum wa-ramatullahi wa-barakatuh.

Sister in Islam,

We sympathise with you for your condition and make dua to Allah to grant you ease from your difficulty.

We advise you consult your elders and explain to them your feelings and the difficulties you are facing. You should make istikhara and make a decision accordingly. In the meanwhile, turn to Allah with salatul hajah, dua and zikr.

And Allah Ta`ala Knows Best.

Hussein Muhammad.

Student Darul Iftaa

Arusha, Tanzania

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai.






DISCLAIMER - AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.
The Messenger of Allah said, "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]