Asked Country: Bangladesh

Title: Alqama’s false story

Question

Assalāmu `alaikum Warahmatullāhi Wabarakatuh.

Muhtaram Brother,

We listened to a story many times about a Sahabi named Alqamah. It's as below (copied from a website):

".... There is a hadeeth about a righteous man who was called ‘Alqamah; he was on his deathbed and had not uttered the kalimah (declaration of faith). Then the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) sent for his mother, who said that she was angry with him, because he used to favour his wife over her. Then after that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) gathered firewood and told his mother that he would burn her son before her very eyes. She said: O Messenger of Allah, he is my son and I cannot bear to see you burning him in front of me! The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “O mother of ‘Alqamah, the punishment of Allah is more severe and longer lasting. If you want Allah to forgive him, then forgive him (yourself). By the One in Whose hand is my soul, his prayer, fasting and zakaah will not benefit him so long as you are angry with him.” So the woman forgave her son, and after some time he died, after uttering the shahaadatayn (twin declaration of faith). The hadeeth says that after that, the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) called out to the Muhaajireen and Ansaar, saying: “If one of you gives precedence to his wife over his mother, Allah, the angels and all the people will curse him, and Allah will not accept his charity or righteous deeds unless he repent to Allah, may He be exalted, and seeks the pardon and pleasure of his mother. Allah remains angry because of her anger.” It was said that the hadeeth is in Musnad Ahmad.... "
I just copied the question and story from a website and giving you the source of that website and their answer is the story is false. The link is:
Please, explain with reference whether the story is true or false.

Jazakallahu ~ Khayra,

Wassalamu alaykum
.

Answer

Hereunder are the comments of the Muhadditheen on the narration in reference.

1. 1)         Ibn-ul-Jawzi Rahmatullahi Alaihi states:

هَذَا حَدِيثٌ لَا يَصِحُّ عَنْ رَسُولِ الله صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ

Translation: It is not permissible to attribute the narration in reference to Rasulullah Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam. 

1. 2)         Imam Ahmad bin Hambal Rahmatullahi Alaihi states:

فَايِد مَتْرُوك الحَدِيث

Translation: The narrator of this Hadith “Faa’id” is considerate as (متروك) Matruk- that Hadith in which there is such a narrator who has been blamed for lying in other matters besides narrating Hadith. Such a Hadith is considered rejected.

1. 3)         Yahya bin Maeen Rahmatullahi Alaihi states: 

لَيْسَ بشئ

Translation: This Hadith is insignificant.

1. 4)         Ibn Hibbaan Rahmatullahi Alaihi states: 

لَا يجوز الِاحْتِجَاج بِهِ

Translation: It is not permissible to take this narrators opinion as proof. 

1. 5)         Imam Bayhaqi states: 

لَا يُتَابِعه على هَذَا الحَدِيث إِلا من هُوَ مثله

Translation: Faa’id is alone in this narration.

Whilst the narration in reference is not authentic, that should not undermine the serious repercussions of obeying ones mother and the possibility of being deprived of blessings and mercy of Allah at the time of death.

Mahomed Yasser Mahomed Yunus Hussen

Mozambique