Asked Country: Germany

Title: Someone told me that this masjid is built using money from a bank?

Question

Salam Alaikum Dear Mufti i hope you are fine and may Allah give you the best in Dunya and Akhirah

I would like to know in my Area where i live are a few Mosques. One Mosque takes just 3 - 5 Minutes walking.

1. But one Brother told me that the imam said to him that parts of this Masjid is build with Money from Bank which they have to pay some amount of interest/ Riba. One other Brother told me that there is Ikhtilaf among the Ulama  that one can not pray inside of a Masjid, when the Managers of the Masjid decided to make this Contract ( Credit with Riba) is this True that one cannot pray inside such a Masjid.

2. I owe my mother some money, with her agreement she said that i should not worry and i can be flexible with paying back. I can take time ( it would take 5 - 7 Years). So i have no problemes with other payments. My Question if i pay my monthly rate to my mother and i have some left over from my money can i spend some Money for some Muslims around the world and also can i save some money from the left overs,

Barak Allahu feek

Answer

1) We advise you to refer to the Imam directly and seek clarity from him on the statement attributed to him. If he confirms having said such a statement, enquire from him the details of the issue and what is meant by ‘some amount of interest’. Also, enquire from him, in the circumstance, the reason he is Imam there. You may revert to us with the answer and we will advise you accordingly.

2) If your mother has approved for you to pay her the loaned amount according to your convenience, you may give Sadaqah from the surplus money and even save some money too.

However, Shari'ah advises us to live a life without debt.[1] It is advisable to pay your debt and thereafter give Sadaqah.

Mizanur Rahman

UK

[1] صحيح مسلم بشرح النووي، مسلم بن الحجاج النيسابوري (المتوفى: 261هـ) يحيى بن شرف النووي (المتوفى: 676هـ)، دار ابن رجب، القاهرة، مصر الطبعة الأولى: 2008م (7/33)

حدثنا زكريا بن يحيى بن صالح المصري، حدثنا المفضل يعني ابن فضالة، عن عياش وهو ابن عباس القتباني، عن عبد الله بن يزيد أبي عبد الرحمن الحبلي، عن عبد الله بن عمرو بن العاص، أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم، قال «يغفر للشهيد كل ذنب إلا الدين»