Answered Date: May 19,2018

Title: Birthday gift

Question

Assalamu alaikum...

My question is on permisibility of birthday gift given on any other day.

I work in a company where in, it is a culture to celebrate every team members birth day. A volunteer collects money from every one and brings a birthday  cake for celebration..

They do it for all and when my birthday arose, i was succesfull in diplomatically denying. However, at the end moment i got to know that my colleagues were planning to gift me something instead.

Where upon, i could not deny that, as i thought it would impact my  work behaviour recognition and i would be considered rude as abstain from many other activities (like joining in photo shoot, games, music, free intertaction with women).. i asked them to delay the gift (giving after few days of my birthday)

They gifted me a watch and i want to know if it permissible for me to wear.

Jazkallahu khair.

Answer

Respected Brother in Islam,

You have abstained from celebrating your birthday to the best of your ability. Alhamdulillah.

The watch given to you by your colleagues is permissible for you to wear.

Tareque Ahmed

_________________________

آپ کے مسائل اور انکا حل 2/519 

الهداية في شرح بداية المبتدي (3/ 222)

الهبة عقد مشروع لقوله عليه الصلاة والسلام: "تهادوا تحابوا" وعلى ذلك انعقد الإجماع "وتصح بالإيجاب والقبول والقبض"