Title: Marijuana Addiction

Question

Assalam Alykum wa rehmatullah,

Brother I am a marijuana addict. I spend most of my time impure.

But during this time I want to pray and do zikr but I am not able to do that. I only pray when I am pure and it's been 2 months I haven't prayed. I did a taubah once but I wasn't able to remain consistent. 

My Question is can I pray salah and make dua to Rabbi to help me overcome this?

Do pray for me.

Answer

Your guilt for not performing salaah and not making zikr and du’aa is a sign of your love for salaah, zikr and du’aa.

Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam said:

المؤمن لا ينجس

“A believer never becomes impure[i]

Your addiction to marijuana does not render you impure neither does it absolve you of your religious duties and responsibilities of salaah and zikr etc. You should continue fulfilling your obligations of performing salaah, du’aa and zikr. That invokes the mercy and forgiveness of Allah Ta’ala. Beg and cry to Allah Ta’ala to remove you from your addiction. Never be despondent.

You should seek professional assistance and guidance to take you out of your addiction. If you are sincere and determined, you will kick the evil habit and enjoy true quality of life.

We make du’aa Allah Ta’ala grant you the courage to overcome this evil addiction and addict you to the love of Allah Ta’ala and his Rasul Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam. We advise you to listen to the discourses on Qaseeda Burda by our beloved teacher Hadhrat Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb Damat Barakaatuh on the love for Allah Ta’laa and His Rasul Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam. The discourses can be accessed via the following link. http://tasawwuf.daralmahmood.org/i-tikaaf-2015.html

Muhammad Yusuf bin Moulana Abdur Rahim Khan

Chatsworth, Durban, KZN, South Africa 

[i] صحيح البخاري (2/ 73)

باب غسل الميت ووضوئه بالماء والسدر

وحنط ابن عمر رضي الله عنهما ابنا لسعيد بن زيد، وحمله، وصلى ولم يتوضأ وقال ابن عباس رضي الله عنهما: «المسلم لا ينجس حيا ولا ميتا» وقال سعيد: «لو كان نجسا ما مسسته» وقال النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم: «المؤمن لا ينجس»