Title: Where do we draw the boundaries between luxuries and needs & selling entertainment products

Assalamualaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh.

Respected Ulama e Kiram, I am an engineering student doing my Masters. According to my assessment, the products designed and developed by the engineering industry fall under two categories:
1) facilities for necessities or luxuries, and
2) futile/entertainment products.

Now my questions are:

1) What is the Shari'ah ruling on the earning from developing or selling futile/entertainment products?
2) Where do we draw the boundary between luxuries and facilities as it is disliked in the Hadith to adopt a luxurious lifestyle?
إياك و التنعم فإن عباد الله ليسوا بالمتنعمين

Jazakumullahu Khaira

The answer to this would vary according to different individuals. An item could be futile for someone and that same item could be a requirement for another. The same would apply to needs and luxuries. What may be one man’s necessity could be another man’s luxury and vice versa. Hence there is no blanket ruling as far as your question is concerned.

Aboobakr Siddeeq bin Mufti Amjad Mohammad

Azaadville, JHB, South Africa

DISCLAIMER - questions answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of