Title: Is Khula valid without husbands consent

Question

This question is related to one of my close friends. He got married and their marriage lasts for 7 years. Both husband and wife were working and however, at that time wife was earning a little more which led to some complications in their relationship. To cut the story short, the wife applied for Khulla through Pakistani court. My friend could not attend any of the hearings due to very valid reasons. I can give you the details however I know that he was not avoiding the court but actually was in a very big trouble and mistakenly sent to jail. Anyway, he came out of the jail during the last hearing. Judge gave the decision in the favor the girl and thats how the khulla was valid. My friend even mentioned openly that I don't agree with it and he even applied for another hearing, however, was rejected by the Judge. 

Till then, my friend and his wife are separated. They have one daughter who stays with the mother. My friend sends a decent amount to the mother so that she can take care of the daughter as well. I was just going through some articles and found out that khulla is not valid if husband has not given the consent and it has no affect on the marriage. So would this be applicable and can they be reunited or not?

Answer

Khula refers to the husband issuing his wife divorce in exchange of returning the mahr or some monetary exchange. Khula is valid only if the husband consents to the khula. In that case the khula will constitute a talaaq baa’in[i] (irrevocable divorce) if the husband does not consent to the khula, the khula decree given in court is invalid.[ii] If what you have stated reflects the reality of the situation, then your friend’s nikaah is intact. His wife cannot marry anyone else. If she does perform nikaah, her nikaah will be invalid. Advise your friend to identify an influential person to intervene and assist in reconciling with his wife.

Muhammad Yusuf bin Maulana Abdur Rahim Khan

Chatsworth, Durban, KZN, South Africa 

[i] المبسوط للسرخسي (6/ 171)

[باب الخلع]

(قال): وإذا اختلعت المرأة من زوجها فالخلع جائز، والخلع تطليقة بائنة عندنا،

البحر الرائق شرح كنز الدقائق (10/ 303)

أما الخلع فقوله عليه الصلاة والسلام الخلع تطليقة بائنة ، ولأنه يحتمل الطلاق حتى صار من الكنايات ، والواقع بالكناية بائن ، وفي الخلاصة ، ولو قضى بكون الخلع فسخا قيل ينفذ ، وقيل لا .

ا هـ .

[ii] فتاویٰ دار العلوم زکریا جلد چہارم ٢٣٦

بدائع الصنائع (3/ 229)

ركن الخلع

و أما ركنه فهو الإيجاب و القبول لأنه عقد على الطلاق بعوض فلا تقع الفرقة و لا يستحق العوض بدون القبول

فتاویٰ محمدیہ جلد ١٣/٣٤١