Asked Country: Canada

Title: Should one hide his happiness?

Asalam o alikum. 1-Should one hide his happiness? Some Muslims kids are really impressed if someone has good academic marks and in time that leads them to despise you and have jealousy to a certain extent. So should you hide your grade in order to avoid that jealousy with certain people and protect your self from becoming proud and arrogant. Can you lie about your grades so the other person does not feel bad. 2- I know you are not even supposed to say "oof" to your parents. We have a family in our neighbourhood with some shortcoming and I have experienced it first hand but I try to hide their shortcomings and speak good about them. I defend them in front of other people. However my mom is also introduced to their shortcomings and she tells me to avoid getting attached with them and gives example of their bad conduct. Is my mom justified in giving examples and can I stop her from taking bad about them. Because In the books it comes: whosever hides the fault of a person Allah will Hide his faults".

1. If Allah blessed somebody with some bounty, it is natural for that person to be happy and even express his happiness. However, one should express his happiness to people that love him and wish him well. If one is not sure of the attitude of people or one fears becoming a victim of jealousy and hatred, then one should exercise pre caution. In exercising caution one does not have to speak lies. Speaking lies is haram.
  2. It is possible your mother is sincerely concerned about you getting affected by the bad conduct and is advising you accordingly. You should consider the advice of your mother and stay away from the family. There would be no need for your mother to talk about the family in the future.

Huzaifah Deedat

DISCLAIMER - questions answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of