Asked Country: Malaysia

Title: Accepting Islam for marriage

Question

Hello, I am a girl living in a Muslim country and had a Muslim boyfriend. We'd been together for a little over a year, but he broke up with me saying he can't marry me because I'm not Muslim and even if I convert, not practicing Muslim actions will not be accepted by his family. Im from Japan and grow up in a free thinker family but I do have my own sense of God and I believe there's only one god. I have watched Dr. Naik Zakir videos and he stated that a man is Muslim from the moment he startbelieving Allah and accept Mohammed as final prophet. But my ex boyfriend said it's not too true and I have to pray 5 times a day to be a Muslim. I believe the connection is only between Allah and me. I believe He will understand that changing my life style drastically is not an easy work and he know that it takes time to adapt. Do you think it will being issues if I convert to Islam and marry him? Do you think me taking time to adapt prayer practice and not as religious as those who are born in Muslim families? 

Answer

Sister

You state you have your own sense of God (Allah) and you believe there is only one God.

A tree grows with a root. As it grows, its roots are entrenched in the ground and its branches become huge and big while the tree bears wholesome and sweet fruits.

It is pleasing to note your belief in the existence of Allah and His Oneness. Almighty Allah placed you in a Muslim country and linked you with Islam and Muslims. This is Allah’s way of wanting to bless you with the true religion of Islam and eternal salvation with Jannat (paradise) after leaving this temporary world. Your belief in the Oneness of Allah is the root of Islam. You should water and nourish the roots of your belief in Allah and make your belief grow to practice Islam and enjoy the fruits of Islam.

Sister, we advise you to value your present situation and accept Islam for the value and peace that it offers in an individual if one truly practices on Islam. In order for a person to be a Muslim one should belief in the fundamental aspects of Islam which are

• Belief in Allah
  • Belief in the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) and other messengers of Allah (peace be upon them all)
  • Praying Salah 5 times a day
  • Belief in Jannah (paradise) and Jahannam (hell)
  • Fasting in the month of Ramadan
  • Giving Zakat once a year (if eligible)
  • Going for Hajj once in a life time. (if eligible)
  • Belief in His angels
  • Belief in His scriptures
  • Belief in life after death

If you have the above beliefs and proclaim them, you are a Muslim. If you marry a Muslim, your marriage will be valid.

A Muslim is required to perform Salah. We understand the transit into Islam and the need to adapt to that. The Muslim man you refer to should understand that. However, some people are sensitive to family values and reach to such situations.

We advise you to consider the broader picture of accepting Islam and your personal benefit in doing so. Bring the courage to accept Islam. We believe you will be a happier person as a Muslim if you truly accept and practice Islam.

You may refer to our website dedicated for women http://idealwoman.org

Muhammad Yaasir Yunus Hussen

Mozambique