Title: Is it permissible to work as a producer, developer of the GDPR reports and ensuring data?

Assalamu Alaikum,

I am an independent IT contractor and at the moment in search of a contract. I have found a suitableshort term contract in an insurance company (lasting for 6 months) for a project which deals with European Wide compliance (GDPR) which is effective from May 2018. [The EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will apply from 25 May 2018, when it supersedes EU member state implementations of the 1995 Data Protection Directive (DPD). The UK Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) will be superseded by a new DPA that enacts the GDPR’s requirements.]

As an IT Developer I will be responsible for the production and development of reports whcih are required by the GDPR regulation and I will also be responsible for ensuring the quality of the data in all report.

Can you advice if the above job is permissible and if I am ok to apply for the above job

Abdul Aleem

Your concern for the permissibility of the job in reference is an expression of your Imaan and Allah consciousness. May Allah grant you halal and wholesome income. Aameen.

According to your explanation, your job will be to produce and develop reports and ensure quality in data.

If so, the job will be permissible as you will not be dealing directly in insurance related transactions. [i]

Mirza Mahmood Baig

Jeddah, KSA

[i]   صحيح مسلم (3/ 1219)

حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ الصَّبَّاحِ، وَزُهَيْرُ بْنُ حَرْبٍ، وَعُثْمَانُ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، قَالُوا: حَدَّثَنَا هُشَيْمٌ، أَخْبَرَنَا أَبُو الزُّبَيْرِ، عَنْ جَابِرٍ، قَالَ: «لَعَنَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ آكِلَ الرِّبَا، وَمُؤْكِلَهُ، وَكَاتِبَهُ، وَشَاهِدَيْهِ»، وَقَالَ: «هُمْ سَوَاءٌ»

DISCLAIMER - questions answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of