Title: Raising hands for Dua after obligatory Salah

Question

As salamu Alaykum

One of the salafi brother told me that raising hands for dua after obligatory salah is not from the practice of prophet(s.a).I also noticed most of the arab imams in UAE also not raising hand for dua after obligatory salah.What is the most recommended form,whether to raise or not raise hands for dua after obligatory salah.?

JAZAKALLAH KHAIR

Answer

It is incorrect to attribute an act to Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) if he did not perform that act.

Likewise, if Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) did perform a certain act, it is incorrect to negate that act from him. Both attitudes are incorrect and are sinful.

It is incorrect to state that Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) did not raise his hands in dua after Salah as that is proven from the following Hadith;

أَخْبَرَكُمْ أَبُو عُمَرَ بْنُ حَيَوَيْهِ قَالَ: حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى قَالَ: حَدَّثَنَا الْحُسَيْنُ قَالَ: أَخْبَرَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ قَالَ: أَخْبَرَنَا عَبْدُ الْعَزِيزِ بْنُ أَبِي رَوَّادٍ قَالَ: حَدَّثَنِي عَلْقَمَةُ بْنُ مَرْثَدٍ، وَإِسْمَاعِيلُ بْنُ أُمَيَّةَ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ كَانَ إِذَا فَرَغَ مِنْ صَلَاتِهِ رَفَعَ يَدَيْهِ وَضَمَّهُمَا، وَقَالَ: «رَبِّ اغْفِرْ لِي مَا قَدَّمْتُ، وَمَا أَخَّرْتُ، وَمَا أَسْرَرْتُ، وَمَا أَعْلَنْتُ، وَمَا أَسْرَفْتُ، وَمَا أَنْتَ أَعْلَمُ بِهِ مِنِّي، أَنْتَ الْمُقَدِّمُ، وَأَنْتَ الْمُؤَخِّرُ، لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ، لَكَ الْمُلْكُ، وَلَكَ الْحَمْدُ»

Abdullah ibn Mubarak, the teacher of Imam Bukhari, narrates in his book az-Zuhd war-Raqaaiq, with a chain of narrators that upon the completion of his Salah, Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) would raise his hands, join them, and say, “My Rabb, forgive me for that which I’ve sent forward, that which I’ve kept behind, whatever I’ve done privately, whatever I’ve done openly, those limits which I exceeded, and those actions which you are more knowledgeable of than me. You are the one who puts forward, You are the one who keeps behind, there is no deity except you, for you is the kingdom and for you is all praise.”[i]

Similarly, there are other narrations proving the Sahabah would also make dua in congregation. Allamah Ibn Kathir (رحمه الله) quotes an incident of the Sahabi, Alaa’ ibn al-Hadhrami (رضي الله عنه);

وَنُودِيَ بِصَلَاةِ الصُّبح حِينَ طَلَعَ الْفَجْرُ فصلَّى بالنَّاس، فلمَّا قَضَى الصَّلاة جَثَا عَلَى رُكْبَتَيْهِ وَجَثَا النَّاس، وَنَصِبَ فِي الدُّعاء وَرَفَعَ يَدَيْهِ وَفَعَلَ النَّاس مِثْلَهُ

“And at the time of Fajr, the Azan was called so he (Alaa’ [رضي الله عنه]) led the people. When he finished the Salah, he knelt on his knees and the people knelt, he engaged himself in dua, raising his hands; and the people did the same.”[ii]

For further research on this topic, you may refer to the following link;

http://daruliftaa.net/index.php/articles/juridical-codifications/622-congregational-dua-after-salah

Saad Haque

New Jersey, USA 

[i] الزهد والرقائق لابن المبارك والزهد لنعيم بن حماد ١١٥٤

[ii] البداية والنهاية (6/ 361) - أبو الفداء إسماعيل بن عمر بن كثير القرشي البصري ثم الدمشقي (المتوفى: 774هـ) | دار إحياء التراث العربي