Title: Do I as the father of an unborn child have a right to tell my family and friends that I am expecting a baby?

Question

Do I as the father of an unborn child have a right to tell my family and friends that I am expecting a baby or does my wife have the right to forbid me to tell anyone whilst she has told her family? Also do I as the father have a right without my wife's consent to disclose to my family and friends the sex of the child? JazakAllah al kher.

Answer

Question:

Answer:

Marriage is a union between the husband and wife. Both are required to mutually co-operate with each other. If the husband wants the wife to succumb to his demands without co-operating with her, then such a marriage will not remain healthy and may lead to separation. The same applies for the woman. One of those moments from a couples marriage is that of pregnancy and expecting a child. If the wife does not want the husband to share the news of the pregnancy with his family due to a valid reason, then he should consider her reason. The same goes for the wife if the husband does not want her to share the news with somebody. In essence, both should attempt to mutually discuss the issue and consider each other’s feelings.

The husband should also consider that pregnancy is a very tough and demanding time for the wife. Therefore, he should attempt to be as helpful as possible towards her and consider her temperament to the best of his ability.