Title: I am depressed. I want to get married but hurdles keep coming my way

Question

Assalam Alaikum. I am 32 yrs old girl. Its been four years since I have been struggling for marriage proposals. My marriage is not being fixed and Iam rejected most of the times. Allah has blessed me with beauty, good personality, health, education and intelligence but still hurdles are coming my way. Iam so depressed, plz tell me what to do.

Answer

Sister in Islam

We take note of the contents of your email and your feeling of depression.

We are the slaves of Allah. Every aspect of our lives are governed by the decree of Allah. It is fardh to submit to taqdeer and be content with the way Allah deals with us. Allah is Al-Hakeem (Absolutely wise). Believe that your present situation is best for you according to the absolute wisdom of Allah Ta’ala. Our knowledge and insight on issues are limited. Therefore we get affected with our apparent failures. What we don’t realize is, those apparent failures are actually good for us. Allah says:

عَسَى أَن تَكْرَهُواْ شَيْئًا وَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ

“It might happen that you dislike something whilst it is good for you”                   [Verse 2:216] 

If you have adopted all possible and permissible means to get married, then you did what was within your means. Continue with that and leave the rest to Allah. You may adopt more means through family and friends and also make dua to Allah to guide you to whatever is best for you. In the meanwhile you may console yourself with the fact that being unmarried and happy is better than being married with a possibility of many challenges, difficulties and grief. Thank Allah for your present situation and ask Allah for more happiness in your future life.

Aboobakr Siddeeq bin Mufti Amjad Mohammad

Azaadville, JHB, South Africa