Title: Is it permissible to take benefits from an insurance company paid by my employer?

Question

Assalamu Alaikum,

Company i work for provides insurance benefits from date of joining to each of its employees through an insurance company. Employee does not have to pay any amount of premium during entire stay with the company. 

Premium is entirely paid by my company only.

Insurance Policy covers employee, his/her spouse, 2 children and parents. Each Dependant is covered for equal amount of Rs 4.5 lacs.

Recently my father was hospitalized. I can claim his hospitalization charges and other medical expenses from my insurance benefits. will it be permissible for me to do so? Please explain.

Answer

Conventional insurance is not permissible. You did not take out the insurance cover. The company is offering the insurance benefit to you, your spouse, two children and parents. That is regarded as a gift from the company to you. It is permissible to accept the insurance benefits. You may make use of the insurance benefits for the medical and hospital charges.[1]

Tanzania

[1]

الأصل للشيباني ط قطر (3/ 419)

قلت: أرأيت مسلماً وهب لنصراني (3) هبة أو ليهودي أو مجوسي هل يجوز ذلك؟ قال: نعم. قلت: وكذلك الذمي لو كان هو الواهب للمسلم؟ قال: نعم. قلت: وهما في ذلك بمنزلة المسلمين؟ قال: نعم.

مختصر القدوري (ص: 124)

الهبة: تصح بالإيجاب والقبول وتتم القبض فإذا قبض الموهوب له في المجلس بغير أمر الواهب جاز

Fataawa Darul Uloom Zakariyya, Vol 5, Pg 423.