Category:

Title: Is it permissible to sell copyright items?

Question

Aslamualikum

I am preparing for medical pg enterance

I got video lectures of some institues from one of my seniors by paying him some money( i have doubt whether its halal or not)

Because of copyrights involved or not

So i thought of selling those video lectures to other students

Is this earnings halal 

Answer

You should enquire from the seniors in reference if the video is copyright or not. If it is copyright, you cannot sell it.[1] If it is not copyright, you should refrain from selling the videos due to it having animate pictures in it. Alternatively you may convert the video into  an audio recording and you may sell it. In that instance your income will be halaal.

Tanzania

[1]

Comtemporary fatawaa by Justice Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmaani, pg 188