Asked Country: Australia

Title: Father refuses to meet his daughters

Question

AsSalamuAlaykum 

Dear respected Uluma,

I have two stepdaughters aged 5 and 8 their father is an alcoholic and wishes to see the girls at his house I have refused to bring the girls to his house and told him to meet them at the park. He has met us a few times at the park but is now refusing to meet the girls. The Eldest daughter does not want to go to his house by herself but doesn't mind seeing her father. he smells of wine most of the time even if is not drunk, along with this there are also other faults that i can elaborate on if necessary. My wife, the mother of the girls worries that she is responsible for breaking their relationship by not going with the girls to meets there farther at his house which is what used to happen before I married her, She feels that he will not come to meet them if we don't go to his house and that as long as we feel safe then we should go to his house, this is also the advice she received from a friend who she thought was somewhat knowledgeable. Please advise JazakAllahKheir

Answer

We commend you on your concern for your stepdaughters. It was the noble Sunnah of Rasulullah Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam. Rasulullah showed great compassion for his stepchildren.

We understand the sensitivity of the issue. Our advise is that you should accompany your stepdaughters to their fathers house and supervise their meeting. This will also assuage the concern of your wife.

Anas Sharieff Qasmi.

Hyderabad, India.