Title: Is it halal for me to sell this buisness software?

Question

I'm Canadian Businessman who sells Educational Softwares to Canadian schools. These Softwares teaches students basic financial literacy like

- About Banking

- About Loans

- About Interests

- About Mortgages

Our curriculum is based on following book:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/idar52gwswmndiy/Financial_Literacy_for_Millennials.pdf?dl=0

I just want to know that is my income halal which I earn by selling this software.

Regards,

Umar

Answer

Almighty Allah says in the Quran:

وَلَا تَعَاوَنُوا عَلَى الْإِثْمِ وَالْعُدْوَانِ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعِقَابِ

“and do not assist in sin and aggression” (5:2)

The Fuqaha have made a distinction between an actual perpetration of a sin and being a cause for a sin.

The use of the software in reference will not result in the sin of engaging in un-Islamic transactions like loans, interest etc. However, education is the most effective tool in advancing a method of operation. As Muslims, we are averse to interest bearing loans, mortgages and other un-Islamic transactions. Although the software in reference will not be directly used in engaging in un-Islamic transactions, it is a means in advancing such transactions. Therefore, your income will be halal but will be makrooh (disliked). Furthermore, if you are feeling uneasy, keep in mind that the Prophet (Peace be upon him) had said:

"دع ما يريبك إلى ما لا يريبك"

“Leave what is doubtful and take what is not doubtful” (Tirmidhi hadith no.2687)

Shibly bin Mizan

Toronto,Canada