Title: Selling educational software, brokerage agent

Question

Question # 1:

I am the owner of a Canadian company where we provide educational software to Canadian Schools which teaches basic financial education to school students Like:

- How to open a bank current/saving account?

- How does current/saving account work?

- What's interest?

- How is interest calculated?

- How does car financing work?

- How can you apply for car financing?

- What's Mortgage and Personal Loan?

It's approximately same as some finance or accounting teacher teaching these things to his students. My only concern was "Is my income Halal by Islamic Point of View?"

Question # 2 (Asked by my friend)

He's independent brokerage agent in Canada. He refers his clients to different banks for different products of banks like (Car Loan, Personal Loan, Credit Card) and in-return Bank gives him the commission. As he's assisting indirectly in a sin so Is his income is Halaal?

Answer

1) It is permissible for you to sell the educational software.

2) It is not permissible for one to be an agent of an interest bearing loan. The commission received from such an agency is not halal.[1]

For further information and a detailed research of assisting in sin, refer to the following link; http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/23092.

Saad Haque

New Jersey, USA 

[1] وَلَا تَعَاوَنُوا عَلَى الْإِثْمِ وَالْعُدْوَانِ (سورة المائدة ٢)

صحيح مسلم ١٥٩٨

عَنْ جَابِرٍ، قَالَ: «لَعَنَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ آكِلَ الرِّبَا، وَمُؤْكِلَهُ، وَكَاتِبَهُ، وَشَاهِدَيْهِ»، وَقَالَ: «هُمْ سَوَاءٌ»