Asked Country: Indonesia

Title: Can I name my daughter Faiha?

Question

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته 
"I had asked this question around 2 weeks before. And another question around 3 weeks ago. Didn't get any reply yet. So I'm resending it. Please answer ASAP. I want to get birth certificate published for my daughter."
I'm blessed with a baby girl. We named her FAIHA MARYAM, after searching in different websites. The meanings given in many english websites and apps were " GOOD FRAGRANCE OF HEAVEN " ... But now some one told me that FAIHA means " HOT AIR OR WIND FROM HELL". Then I did a little more research in arabic websites. Majority of arabic websites have given the meaning as "

The meaning of the name

It is a feminine name of Arabic origin and it has many meanings and it means the extended land, the spacious, the welcome palace, which means soup in seasoning, and Al-Faiha is the title of Basra, Damascus, Tripoli and Al-Sham, as it means many tender and Fayadh.

Ruling on naming this name

This name has a beautiful and distinctive meaning and it is not contrary to the law and may be named for our daughters will give the tenderness and beauty.
"

معنى اسم فيحاء

وهو اسم علم مؤنث من اصل عربي وهو له معاني كثيرة وهو يعني الأرض الممتدة , الواسعة , القصر الرحب وهو يعني حساء في توابل , والفيحاء هو لقب البصرة ودمشق وطرابلس والشام كما أنه يعني كثيرة العطاء والفياضة .

حكم التسمية بهذا الاسم

هذا الاسم ذات معنى جميل ومميز وهو غير مخالف للشريعة ويجوز التسمية به لبناتنا فسوف يضفي الرقة والجمال .
)
1. So please clarify as to what FAIHA actually means.
2. How is it written in arabic? فَيحا ، فَيحاء or فَيها or anything else?
3. So what does FAIHA MARYAM mean ?
4. Should I change the name or is this a valid name?
جزاك الله خيرا كثيرا 

Answer

1. The word “Faiha” means fragrant, redolent, aromatic, and sweet-smelling. It can also mean vast, and extensive.[1]

2.  It is written as “فَيحاء” in the Arabic language.[2]

3. The word “Faiha” means sweet-smelling as mentioned above.

The name “Maryam” was the name of the blessed mother of Isa (Alaihis Salam)[3] and also the name of several Sahabias (Radiyallahu Anhunna).

4. Faiha Maryam is a suitable Muslim name for a girl.

Abdullah Syed Sajid

Houston, TX, USA 

[1] Hans Wehr (Arabic to English dictionary): Page - 860

معجم الوسيط (ص: ٤١٠)

مصباح اللغات (ص: ٦٥٢)

[2] Ibid