Category:

Title: How many times can a woman get married?

Question

Assalamualaikum sir, im 25years old, i have been married twice n both the marriages failed, first marriage failed because my husband was impotent n mentally ill, n second marriage failed because of abusive relationship, my husband was having affair outside and he was torturing me n threatening to kill me, i dint have any sexual relations with my first husband and with second husband his parents forced him to validate valima, he came close to me only once , till 4 mnths he was away frm me, n tortured me, bet me etc etc, i got divorced frm him, n nw my parents r forcing me to marry again, i wanted to knw that how many marriages can a woman do if marriages fail?? Can i get married again?? Is it allowed in islam... Please answer me quickly sir , its urgent! Thank you

Answer

Sister in Islaam,

We empathize with you in your unfortunate predicament. We pray that Allaah Ta’aala blesses you with a suitable husband who will shower you with love and affection. Aameen.

A woman may marry as many times as she wishes to after her ‘iddah of being divorced or being widowed, provided she is able to fulfill her marital obligations.

If you are able to fulfill marital obligations, and you are advised to remarry, especially in view of your past unfortunate experiences, you should be positive and place your trust in Allaah Ta’aala and adopt all possible means to identify a suitable and compatible husband. Make istikhaarah and consult with the appropriate people before making a decision. Turn to Allaah Ta’aala with Salaatul Haajah[i], zikr and du’aa. Allaah Ta’aala says,

استعينوا بالصبر والصلوة إن الله مع الصبرين

Translation: “Seek (Allaah’s) help through enduring patience and devotion in prayer. Indeed, Allaah is with those who are enduringly patient. (Al-Baqarah v.153)

Also, recite the following du’aa:

رَبَّنَا هَبْ لَنَا مِنْ أَزْوَاجِنَا وَذُرِّيَّاتِنَا قُرَّةَ أَعْيُنٍ وَاجْعَلْنَا لِلْمُتَّقِينَ إِمَامًا

Translation: Our Lord! Bestow on us from our wives and our offspring who will be the comfort of our eyes, and make us leaders for the pious. (Furqaan v.74)

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best

[i] You may refer to the link below for the procedure of Salaatul-Haajah. www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/19493

You may refer to the link below for the procedure of Salaatul-Istikhaarah. http://askimam.org/public/question_detail/14994