Category: Divorce (Talaaq)
Fatwa#: 38962
Asked Country: United Arab Emirates

Answered Date: Oct 03,2017

Title: Can the wife ask for divorce, if she is the abusive one in the relationship?




My question is related to my maried lfie.


my wife keeps cpmplaining to her parents about me that i do not take proper care and doesnt support her Etc.......

I have tried my level best to take proper care of her and love her. But she says she cant see that i have feelings for her and love i have. She says i just think about myself and and says i am too selfish. 

But god knows i have tried all the possible means and tried to keep her happy. our problem is related to financial issue

She helped intitally me financially to clear my dues also she pays house rent. I am earnning less than her. There were few problems she used to abuse call me b..t...rd and  regrets getting married to me, but for favor she did i prefered to stay silent.

Anyway our relationship has soured from 2 3 months. The point has reached divorce

The Question is 


Is She right in asking for divorce?

She is claiming once we get divorced wants all the marriage expenses whatever she spent from her side plus the loan amount i owe her. can she claim it???

Is she right is asking meeting of both the families, as she plans to insult mr big time and also tell about my impotency factor

Please help me how do i and my family deal with my aggressive wife and her family?

We are not of voilent nature and I dont intend to divorce her.






In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

You refer to financial problems in the marriage. Your wife pays the rental. You also refer to your impotency.

These are two major considerations in a marriage. It is the husband’s responsibility to adequately maintain his wife and provide shelter for her. The husband must be able to fulfill the conjugal relationship with the wife. Impotency, is a major concern and a legitimate ground for requesting divorce. Our advice is you identify an appropriate person who is respected by the wife’s family and confide in him. Request him to intervene and amicably address the problem. If your wife does not want to continue the marriage, he could advise both of you to separate amicably and for you to issue her a divorce.

We advise you to turn to Allah with salah, dua and Quran and ask Allah to guide you.

And Allah Taala Knows Best

Mehrazur Rahman

Student Darul Iftaa

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

DISCLAIMER - questions answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.