Asked Country: Romania

Title: Investing haraam wealth in stock exchange and later purifying it by giving the haraam amount as charity

Question

Asalamo alekum.  I had been working at a bank sometime back, but now I have quit and try to be mindful of halal ways of earning. However, I do have savings from the bank income. I have read that haram income can be purified if it is invested in a halal venture and the profit equivalent to the initial investment is given away as sadqa. Also, that the future profit from this investment will be halal.

For this purpose, can I invest in stock exchange and aim to earn profit through capital gains?  Will that be right path in purifying my income according to shariah?

Answer

Brother-in-Islam, what work were you doing at the bank?

Kindly clarify why you assume your earnings to be haraam.

Aboobakr Siddeeq bin Mufti Amjad Mohammad

Azaadville, JHB, South Africa