Asked Country: Romania

Title: Seeking first wife’s permission to marry a second wife

Assalamu Alaikkum Warah..

Dear Sir,

I am married man and If I want to marry second one, then I should take the permission from first wife ???? If she did not give the permission then what I should do ????

Shari’ah has made it compulsory upon the husband to maintain equality between his wives. If one is not capable of maintaining fairness between the wives, then it is not permissible for him to marry more than one.

In principle, it is not necessary upon the husband to take permission from the first wife to marry a second wife. However, it would be advisable and wise for the husband to discuss his intention with his wife to maintain harmony and avoid complications in the first marriage.

If your wife does not permit you to marry a second wife, you may consider her reasoning and apply your mind. You should also make istikhaarah and seek counsel from your elders and other reliable persons.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best

DISCLAIMER - questions answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of