Title: I Intend to divorce my wife

Question

Assalamualikum!

My wife wants to have a child but I don’t want to have a child. She said that by sharia I am bound not to discharge outside (Uzel). How can I avoid a child and what is the sharia ruling for it? Please note that she is in good health and also I don’t have any fear of food? I don’t want a child because I don’t want to have a bounding upon me, what I mean by this is if I ever have to give divorce to my wife it would be rather easy as compared to when she will be having a child. This is because I want to leave her and marry another women. The reason being her bad behavior and my ill likeness towards her.

Answer

If you are hesitating to have a child because of your wife’s conduct, you should be clear and upfront with your wife and explain to her your reservations for having a child.

It is possible she will change her conduct and your attitude towards her may change.

It is incorrect for you to conceal your grievances against your wife and plan on leaving her. A woman is not meant to be used to merely fulfil and gratify your carnal desires.

Allah Talaah says;

الطَّلَاقُ مَرَّتَانِ فَإِمْسَاكٌ بِمَعْرُوفٍ أَوْ تَسْرِيحٌ بِإِحْسَانٍ

Divorce (after which a husband can take his wife back without contracting a new marriage) is (pronounced) twice (clearly) after which (the woman) is either retained in good faith (without harming her) or released (from marriage) in kindness.

(Surah Al-Baqarah, Aayah 229)

If you wish to keep her, do so with principle. Address your grieviences and endeavour to correct her conduct. If you do not wish to address your grieviences and intend to divorce her, that will be against the Aayah فَإِمْسَاكٌ بِمَعْرُوفٍ أَوْ تَسْرِيحٌ بِإِحْسَانٍ (either retain her in good faith (without harming her) or release her (from marriage) in kindness.)   [1]

Muhammad IV Patel

صحيح البخاري (4/ 133) [1]

حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو كُرَيْبٍ، وَمُوسَى بْنُ حِزَامٍ، قَالاَ: حَدَّثَنَا حُسَيْنُ بْنُ عَلِيٍّ، عَنْ زَائِدَةَ، عَنْ مَيْسَرَةَ الأَشْجَعِيِّ، عَنْ أَبِي حَازِمٍ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ، قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «اسْتَوْصُوا بِالنِّسَاءِ، فَإِنَّ المَرْأَةَ خُلِقَتْ مِنْ ضِلَعٍ، وَإِنَّ أَعْوَجَ شَيْءٍ فِي الضِّلَعِ أَعْلاَهُ، فَإِنْ ذَهَبْتَ تُقِيمُهُ كَسَرْتَهُ، وَإِنْ تَرَكْتَهُ لَمْ يَزَلْ أَعْوَجَ، فَاسْتَوْصُوا بِالنِّسَاءِ»

صحيح مسلم (2/ 1091)

حدثنا عمرو الناقد، وابن أبي عمر، واللفظ لابن أبي عمر، قالا: حدثنا سفيان، عن أبي الزناد، عن الأعرج، عن أبي هريرة، قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: «إن المرأة خلقت من ضلع لن تستقيم لك على طريقة، فإن استمتعت بها استمتعت بها وبها عوج، وإن ذهبت تقيمها، كسرتها وكسرها طلاقها