Asked Country: Anguilla

Title: Earning a halaal income and earning through one’s own hands

Question

I am an Engineer (IT Professional) working in subsidary of a American multinational firm in india. I do not feel to work here due to mixed working environment and various shariah in-compliant western trends being promoted in my company.

I want to gradually start a business of my own and then will leave this job.

How do i choose a profession which allah likes me to do and he will give barkah in it.

I am inclined towards teaching, maybe would start to take tuitions for high school and college students. Please enlighten me with shariah rules/intentions for being a teacher.

Answer

You refer to mixed working environment and western trends in the firm you are working in. What exactly do you mean by mixed working environment and western trends and how does that affect you? What exactly is your role in that context?

Nevertheless, hereunder are a few points for consideration:

1)    You have spent a considerable time studying and qualified as an IT specialist. Your field of specialty is permissible and the income through the IT service is halaal.

2)    One will face non-Shariah compliant challenges in almost every source of income. Do not be hasty in making a shift to another source of income.

3)    You may consider opening your own IT service company which includes teaching IT.

4)    To earn an income is fardh. Rasulullaah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Seeking halal earning is an obligation after the primary obligations (such as salaah, zakaah, etc.).”[i] Your intention should be to execute an obligation of Shariah and please Allaah Ta’aala.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best

[i] (السنن الكبرى للبيهقي 6/ 211 حديث 11695) (شعب الايمان 8367) (معجم ابن الأعرابي 1167) 

أَخْبَرَنَا عَلِيُّ بْنُ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ عَبْدَانَ , ثنا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ عُبَيْدٍ الصَّفَّارُ , ثنا إِبْرَاهِيمُ بْنُ إِسْحَاقَ السَّرَّاجُ , ثنا يَحْيَى بْنُ يَحْيَى , أنبأ عَبَّادُ بْنُ كَثِيرٍ , عَنْ سُفْيَانَ الثَّوْرِيِّ عَنْ مَنْصُورٍ عَنْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ عَلْقَمَةَ عَنْ عَبْدِ اللهِ قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: " طَلَبُ كَسْبِ الْحَلَالِ فَرِيضَةٌ بَعْدَ الْفَرِيضَةِ " تَفَرَّدَ بِهِ عَبَّادُ بْنُ كَثِيرٍ الرَّمْلِيُّ، وَهُوَ ضَعِيفٌ أَخْبَرَنَا أَبُو عَبْدِ اللهِ الْحَافِظُ قَالَ: قَرَأْتُ بِخَطِّ أَبِي عَمْرٍو الْمُسْتَمْلِي، سَمِعْتُ أَبَا أَحْمَدَ الْفَرَّاءَ يَقُولُ: سَمِعْتُ يَحْيَى بْنَ يَحْيَى يُسْأَلُ عَنْ حَدِيثِ عَبَّادِ بْنِ كَثِيرٍ فِي كَسْبِ الْحَلَالِ قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ، قَالَ: إِنْ كَانَ قَالَهُ