Asked Country: Afghanistan

Title: Writing durood as a ma’mool to attain salvation

Question

Assalaamualaykum I wanted to ask:
A person writes durood once a day as a ma'mool to attain salvation  is this a bid'ah. If/if not why? What will be considered a bid'ah

Answer

There is much emphasis in the Qur’aan and Ahaadith to send salawaat (durood) upon Rasulullaah (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wasallam). There are many virtues of durood, one of which is eternal salvation.

Durood may be verbally recited or written as practiced by the Muhadditheen after writing the name if Rasulullaah (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wasallam) and before recording a hadith.

We advise you to make it a daily practice to verbally recite durood upon Rasulullaah (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wasallam) instead of merely writing the durood. If you are writing the name of Rasulullaah (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wasallam) in recording a Hadith of Rasulullaah (sallallaahu ‘alaihi wasallam), then it is an act of virtue to write durood based on the following Hadith,

مَنْ صَلَّى عَلَيَّ فِي كِتَابٍ لَمْ تَزَلِ الْمَلَائِكَةُ تَسْتَغْفِرُ لَهُ مَا دَامَ اسْمِي فِي ذَلِكَ الْكِتَابِ 

“Whoever invokes salutation upon me in a written form, the angels continue to seek forgiveness for that person as long as my name remains in that book.”[i]

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best

[i]  (المعجم الأوسط 2/ 232 حديث 1835) 

حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ قَالَ: نا إِسْحَاقُ بْنُ وَهْبٍ الْعَلَّافُ قَالَ: نا بِشْرُ بْنُ عُبَيْدِ اللَّهِ الدَّارِسِيُّ قَالَ: نا حَازِمُ بْنُ بَكْرٍ، عَنْ يَزِيدَ بْنِ عِيَاضٍ، عَنِ الْأَعْرَجِ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «مَنْ صَلَّى عَلَيَّ فِي كِتَابٍ لَمْ تَزَلِ الْمَلَائِكَةُ تَسْتَغْفِرُ لَهُ مَا دَامَ اسْمِي فِي ذَلِكَ الْكِتَابِ»

لَا يُرْوَى هَذَا الْحَدِيثُ عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ إِلَّا بِهَذَا الْإِسْنَادِ، تَفَرَّدَ بِهِ: إِسْحَاقُ "