Asked Country: Kuwait

Title: Returning loans with extra because it’s not possible to return exact

Assalamu alaikkum.

Respected Mufti Saheb , I humbly request you to clarify the deal took place about two years before between my sister and myself. Similar kind of deal is ongoing within relatives and our community families. Please we need your clarification. Question with brief background follows;

Alhamthulillah I’m working in Kuwait and supporting my parents in india as I’m the only son. In the recent past years, my parents wished to buy a land for me. There were some shortage of money, then they took around 97 gms of gold jewelry from my sister, sold it and covered the shortage. They have made the deal and told me that I’ll have to buy from Kuwait those 97 grams gold jewelry (brand new) whenever I’m able. It took approximately six month for me to buy and handover to my sister all 100 grams gold. As it was not possible for me buy exactly same weight 97 gms(30gm bangles, 40 gms chain, 30 gms chain) so I bought 100 gms of gold.

Note: My sister’s most of the jewelry were bought from india and used for 8 years. Generally the 22 carat gold bought from india not equal in standard with the same gold bought from Kuwait. If we go to sell gold jewelry in india they give good price for gold which are bought from Kuwait whereas gold which are bought from india they give lesser price.

I was going through your website for the definition of riba , I got the understanding that the above transaction is incorrect and constitutes riba.

1. Was the above transaction correct?  If the transaction was not correct how should I rectify myself from my part and to do tawbah and please advise us if any alternate option.

Jazakallahu khaira respected Mufti saheb.

We understand from your query that your parents took the 97 grams of gold as a loan from your sister on your behalf. If so, then in principle, only 97 grams of gold will be repaid. The gold should be similar[1] to that which was borrowed[2].

Any amount demanded above the loaned amount will be regarded as interest (ribaa). However, if one voluntarily gives an extra amount of jewelry as a token of appreciation, the extra jewelry will be regarded as a gift and it will be permissible.

In the enquired situation, your sister is entitled to receive only 97 grams of gold. You may gift her the remaining 3 grams of gold or she may purchase the 3 grams of gold from you.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best

[1]  حاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (6/ 185) 

قال في المنح عن الوقاية: ويجب المثل في المثلي كالمكيل والموزون والعددي المتقارب…

فما يوجد له المثل في الأسواق بلا تفاوت يعتد به فهو مثلي وما ليس كذلك فمن ذوات القيم

الفتاوى الهندية (3/ 202) 

ويجوز استقراض الذهب والفضة وزنا

[2]  المحيط البرهاني في الفقه النعماني (7/ 118) 

ولو كان الثمن يسقط بالثمن بالقضاء كان لا يصح الحط كما لو حصل الحط بعد الإبراء، وإذا كان كذلك فالدين الواجب في الذمة مما لا يسقط بالقضاء إلا أن الطالب لا يطالب الغريم بعد القضاء؛ لأن المطالبة لا تفيد، فإنه لو طالبه طالبه بما بقي في ذمته طالبه الغريم بما أوجب له في ذمة الطالب

حاشية ابن عابدين (4/ 534)

حاصل ما مر انه على قول ابي يوسف المفتى به لا فرق بين الكساد و الانقطاع و الرخص و الغلاء

تنقيح الفتاوى الحامدية (1/ 294)

رجل استقرض من آخر مبلغا من الدراهم وتصرف بها ثم غلا سعرها فهل عليه ردها مثلها؟

الجواب: نعم ولا ينظر إلى غلاء الدراهم ورخصها.

DISCLAIMER - questions answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of