Asked Country: Canada

Title: Can administration costs be taken from zakah money

Question

Salams,

If i donate zakat money through charity such as Islamic relief Canada and they have administration costs, do I have to add this amount as an additional amount to my donation to cover their administration costs.

Answer

Question:

Salams,

Answer:

One should exercise precaution in appointing an individual or organization to discharge his zakah.

In principle, it is not permissible for welfare and relief organizations etc. which are not delegated by the Amir of an Islamic government to take out administration costs from zakah funds.

If an organization does so, the zakah will not be discharged to its deserving recipients and consequently, that person’s zakah will not be fulfilled.   

Therefore, you should exercise precaution in appointing such organizations to discharge his zakah.

You should first clarify that issue from the organizations in reference.

Also, ensure that the distributors of your zakah are overseen by competent and reliable scholars who can distribute your zakah to the eligible beneficiaries.

Saad Haque

New Jersey, USA