Answered Date: Jul 31,2017

Title: What is the ruling when the eye gets sore and waters due to something going into the eye?

Question

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته I would like to seek clarification on a matter that greatly confuses me. I have read in Bahisti Zewar that "If there is pain in the eyes and they are sore and in addition to this water or tears come out, then too wudhu will break (as in the case of pink eyes)" My question is whether when my eye waters due to an eyelash getting stuck in it, dust flies in it, my finger mistakenly pokes it or when a hair gets in it or when something jabs at it and it becomes sore and begins to water for a brief period, will this water also be impure and will wudhu need to be repeated or is this watering only restricted to when there is an infection in the eye like in pink eyes? I'm fairly certain that in the above scenarios, no infection has occurred. جزاك الله خيرا

Answer

If one is in the state of wudhu and water comes out of one`s eyes due to an infection, sore or a wound, that will invalidate the wudhu. If water comes out of one`s eyes due to discomfort of dirt or an eyelash etc, that will not invalidate the wudhu.[i]

Tanzania

[i] Fataawa Rheemiyya, Vol 4, Pg 25.                                                                                                                        

Fataawa Mahmudiyya, Vol 8, Pg 137.

Masaail Rif`at Qaasmi, Vol 1, Pg 89.

App ke Masaail or un ka Hal, Vol 2, Pg 45.

Shaami, Vol 1, Pg 147(رد المحتار)

لا ينقض ( لو خرج من أذنه ) ونحوها كعينه وثديه ( قيح ) ونحوه كصديد وماء سرة وعين ( لا بوجع ) وإن خرج ( به ) أي بوجع ( نقض ) لأنه دليل الجرح ، فدمع من بعينه رمد أو عمش ناقض