Fatwa: # 38232
Category: Marriage (Nikah)
Country: Canada
Date: 11th January 2019


Marital issue


Sallams I have a question! Currently I am married for 7 year with my husband with 2 children ! My husband has been cheating on me since we got married! I have forgiven him many time but after the birth of our 2nd child he completely changed! He is a alcoholic and he sleep with many women paticularly one he been with with for 1 year! Every time I have confronted him he beat me break thing but won't give me a divorce! I did love him but I'm scared for my kids ! He doesn't take them to namaaz no Islam nothing ! I guess he not in love with me and that fine but islamically I don't even k w if I am in nikkah! I hve spoken to a Molana in India who did ilaj who told me he had taweez done on him I did all he asked with nothing changed at all within him! I have spoken to his family elder n my elder but he won't change ! I'm at a point where I'm debating iwhat should b done! This marriage is not healthy should I separate for the better for my kids and my self? He eat haram he drink he having sexual relationship with women outdoor and nothing in return ! He come home to sleep doesn't help with children nothing! I want to seperatebut I knw islamically it grown upon but I don't want my children n I growing this way! Please let me knw what I should do ! I don't c hope in him to change!


In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.

Sister in Islaam,

We sympathize with you and make du’aa that Allaah Ta’aala grants your husband hidaayah. Aameen.

If you have exhausted all possible avenues to change your husband and you have been unsuccessful in that, then you should consult the seniors of your family and also make istikhaarah. If you are advised to separate, then place your trust in Allaah Ta’aala and separate from him. Give him a few months to change. If he still does not come to his senses, request him to issue you a divorce. If he does not cooperate, then you may request your local ‘Ulamaa board to annul (faskh) the marriage.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best.

Muajul I. Chowdhury

Student, Darul Iftaa

Astoria, New York, USA

Checked and Approved by,

Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

DISCLAIMER - AskImam.org questions
AskImam.org answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on www.askimam.org for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. Askimam.org bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • AskImam.org bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of AskImam.org.
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.
The Messenger of Allah said, "When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]