Answered Date: May 23,2018

Title: Can a man meet his wife before rukhsati?

Question

I have done nikah but due to some unfavourable conditions rukhsati has not been done yet. Can I meet my wife before rukhsati. If yes what are the restrictions in meeting. 

By rukhsati I mean the bride has not been sent to my home. That is final ceremony has not been done yet. 

Please help as soon as possible 

May Allah give the best. 

Answer

The concept of rukhsati after marriage is the husband and wife have mutually agreed to delay staying with each other immediately after marriage due to personal circumstances.

The rukhsati is a mutual agreement which should be honoured. If the husband and wife agree to see each other before rukhsati in order to enjoy each other’s company to any extent, that is their personal choice and within the rights of Shariah. [1]

النتف في الفتاوى للسغدي (1/ 251) [1]

كتاب النِّكَاح

اعْلَم ان الْفرج لَا يحل وَطْؤُهُ الا من وَجْهَيْن لَا ثَالِث لَهَا وهما النِّكَاح وَالْملك لقَوْله تَعَالَى {وَالَّذين هم لفروجهم حافظون إِلَّا على أَزوَاجهم أَو مَا ملكت أَيْمَانهم فَإِنَّهُم غير ملومين} الْآيَة

فَمَا عدا هذَيْن الْوَجْهَيْنِ حرَام