Answered Date: Apr 24,2017

Title: Can i make Dua my parents get divorced?

Question

My dad was abused by his father, and he has the emotional maturity of a child. He lied to my mom about owning a million dollar business, and she had a job. She married him and later found out the truth, but didnt divorce my dad because my mom's mom was sick and my mom didnt want to break her heart, and also my dad didnt let her work, So my mom stayed with my dad for 17 years (He is verbally abusive) because she was too lazy to work to pay off the bills with him....(She admitted it. I one time heard my dad say:GO WORK and my mom : 'I dont want to work"....I explained to my mom to take dad to psychologist but she said no. She takes vacation with me and my sis, she uses facebook, internet, but she didnt try to go to a therapist and explain her situation with my dad....

My dad has a self destructive personality. My mom was an adult, and all these years of going on vacation but never going to therapist or try to get help for my dad, and she complains about his issue. She argues with him almost every day. My dad is abnormal. He doesn't care for his appearance and his job or me and my mom in general.

I'm in college and I'm wondering if I could ask Allah to make my mom divorce my dad or vice versa and my mom could find a better man to marry? My mom doesnt care about my dad. he works 16 hours a day and she has a Bachelor's Degree, but she doesn't care about him and dad doesn't seem to care about anyone...... I tried to do dua for marriage to be better, it is not better.

Answer

Rasulullah (ﷺ) taught the Ummah to ask for ease (Aafiyah) and good (Hasanah – Khair) in every Du’aa of ours. He (ﷺ) also taught us to not become despondent of the mercy of Allah Ta’ala and to not become impatient. Consider the following Hadith:

عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ: أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ: يُسْتَجَابُ لِأَحَدِكُمْ مَا لَمْ يَعْجَلْ، يَقُولُ: دَعَوْتُ فَلَمْ يُسْتَجَبْ لِي

Hadhrat Abu Hurairah (Radhiyallahu Anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (ﷺ) said: “The supplication of every one of His slaves will be granted so long as he does not get impatient and says “I supplicated my Lord again and again but I do not think my prayers will be answered.”(Bukhari)[1]

We advise you to persevere in making Du’aa to Allah Ta’ala to grant you and your parents the best of this world and the hereafter.

Imran Faruk

[1] صحيح البخاري (8/ 74)

حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ يُوسُفَ، أَخْبَرَنَا مَالِكٌ، عَنِ ابْنِ شِهَابٍ، عَنْ أَبِي عُبَيْدٍ مَوْلَى ابْنِ أَزْهَرَ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ: أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ: " يُسْتَجَابُ لِأَحَدِكُمْ مَا لَمْ يَعْجَلْ، يَقُولُ: دَعَوْتُ فَلَمْ يُسْتَجَبْ لِي "