Asked Country: Australia

Answered Date: Apr 12,2017

Title: Is it Permissible to use the Insurance Payout?

Question

As SalamuAlaykum,

My farther has taken out insurance on my car which is not compulsory It covered my car incase of an accident , I recently had such an accident and am want to know if it is permissable to use the insurance payout

Answer

Apart from any insurance (third party) which is a legal requirement, it is not permissible to take out any car insurance policy. These schemes contain elements of interest [Riba], gambling [Qimar] and deception [Gharar].

If you are paid out, you may only use the sum of your premiums and not more than that.[i] The excess amount should be disposed in charity without the intention of reward.[ii]

Imran Patel

Zambia

[i]

فتاوى عثماني( ٣/ ٥٤٤-٥٤٥)   مكتبہ  معارف القران

[ii]

وَيَرُدُّونَهَا عَلَى أَرْبَابِهَا إنْ عَرَفُوهُمْ ، وَإِلَّا تَصَدَّقُوا بِهَا لِأَنَّ سَبِيلَ الْكَسْبِ الْخَبِيثِ التَّصَدُّقُ إذَا تَعَذَّرَ الرَّدُّ عَلَى صَاحِبِهِ                

رد المحتار )6 – 385 ) ايج ايم سعيد 

احسن الفتاوى – (7/16) - ايج ايم سعيد

فتاوى محمودية – (16/381)– دار الافتاء جامعه فاروقية