Fatwa#: 37777
Asked Country: United Kingdom

Answered Date: Aug 03,2017

Title: Revert wants to get married unofficially


Aslam-u-Alyqum I am a revert to Islam. I have been reading about Islam and Quran and sunnah for last 5years. I have very made conscious this decision to revert. I am married to a non Muslim and he knows about it and he is not at all willing to convert and has no interest. Hence I we u am living seperately so our divorce can formally be proceed. . In meantime, 4 years back I came in touch with a man who lives in Saudi Arabia. I am a British national. He has proposed marriage to me various times. We both have met once and it was a halal meeting. He again proposed wedding. He can't move to England because of his work and he is married as well. So if we marry I can't move to KSA and he can't move to England. I have found him very genuine but along with that I am accepted his offer and would want to live as his Wife. As he would visit England to keep marriage. I come from a very conservative family and they won't accept me marrying a Muslim hence I don't want to register wedding and would want to Solomonise it in mosque Insha'Allah. Please guide how shall we go about this within U.K. Jazak'Allah Allah khair.


Your reversion to Islam is guidance from Allah and a great bounty. We pray Allah keep you steadfast on Islam and guide you on your onward journey of life as a Muslim. Aameen.

In principle, if a woman accepts Islam and her husband does not accept Islam, the woman will have to undergo a Iddat (waiting period) for three menstrual cycles if she experiences menses. If she does not experience menses, then her Iddat will be three months.[i] If the husband does not accept Islam before the termination of her Iddat, her Nikah with her non-Muslim husband will terminate and she is free to remarry. [ii]

Sister, you were married and you are aware of the spirit of marriage and the challenges of a marriage. You should exercise extreme precaution before committing to another marriage especially marrying a person from a different culture and also living separately. As a revert to Islam, you may need constant support from a dedicated husband.

You may request the Imam of the mosque nearest to you to perform your Nikah. He will advise you accordingly.


Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.


 (قوله لم تبن حتى تحيض إلخ) أفاد بتوقف البينونة على الحيض أن الآخر لو أسلم قبل انقضائها فلا بينونة بحر.

الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (3/ 191)


إذا طلق الرجل امرأته طلاقا بائنا أو رجعيا أو ثلاثا أو وقعت الفرقة بينهما بغير طلاق وهي حرة ممن تحيض فعدتها ثلاثة أقراء سواء كانت الحرة مسلمة أو كتابية كذا في السراج الوهاج.


والعدة لمن لم تحض لصغر أو كبر أو بلغت بالسن ولم تحض ثلاثة أشهر كذا في النقاية

الفتاوى الهندية (1/ 526)



فتاوى عثماني 2/266 


امداد الفتاوى 2/230


اگر یہ واقعه دار الحرب كا هے تو عورت كے تين حيض گزر جانا هي انكار اسلام كے قا ءم مقام هو جاۓ گا اور بعد تين حيض گزر جانے كے عورت باءنه هو جاۓگی

حیلہ ناجزہ (ص.١٠٤) 


 (ولو) (أسلم أحدهما) أي أحد المجوسيين أو امرأة الكتابي (ثمة) أي في دار الحرب وملحق بها كالبحر الملح (لم تبن حتى تحيض ثلاثا) أو تمضي ثلاثة أشهر (قبل إسلام الآخر)

الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (3/ 191)


DISCLAIMER - questions answers issues pertaining to Shar'ah. Thereafter, these questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. However, many of these answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation or another environment. bears no responsibility with regards to these questions being used out of their intended context.
  • The Shar's ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.
  • bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.
  • This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of
  • Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.