Asked Country: Sri Lanka

Title: Can I take off the Niqab if it gives me a headache?

Question

I have a question on Niqab infact I am a girl who is in niqab , I wore it sometime ago , but now I am having medical issues like when I wear the niqab for some time I start getting a bad headache and my eyes start to hurt and it becomes really hard for me to keep it on . I have to take pain killers and I am afraid it will affect me .eventually . I want to know if I can take off the niqab ? Please give me answer as I am confused

Answer

We advise you to consult your doctor to diagnose the actual cause of your headaches. The Niqab may not be the cause of the headaches. There are innumerable women who wear the Niqab without any discomfort.[1] You may also consult your colleagues to determine if you are incorrectly wearing the Niqab. That could be the cause of your headaches, for example, tying the Niqab too tight etc. We also advise you to place your hand at the place where you feel pain in your body and recite:

1. “Bismillah” three times
  2. The following Du’aa seven times:

أَعُوذُ بِاللهِ وَقُدْرَتِهِ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا أَجِدُ وَأُحَاذِرُ 

Transliteration: a`udhu billāhi wa qudratihi min sharri maa ajidu wa uhadhiru.

Translation: I seek refuge in Allah and his Power from the evil (pain) that afflicts me and that which I apprehend.[2]

Abdullah ibn Mohammed Aijaz

Baltimore, USA

صحيح مسلم (4/ 1728) [2]

حَدَّثَنِي أَبُو الطَّاهِرِ، وَحَرْمَلَةُ بْنُ يَحْيَى، قَالَا: أَخْبَرَنَا ابْنُ وَهْبٍ، أَخْبَرَنِي يُونُسُ، عَنِ ابْنِ شِهَابٍ، أَخْبَرَنِي نَافِعُ بْنُ جُبَيْرِ بْنِ مُطْعِمٍ، عَنْ عُثْمَانَ بْنِ أَبِي الْعَاصِ الثَّقَفِيِّ، أَنَّهُ شَكَا إِلَى رَسُولِ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ وَجَعًا يَجِدُهُ فِي جَسَدِهِ مُنْذُ أَسْلَمَ فَقَالَ لَهُ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «ضَعْ يَدَكَ عَلَى الَّذِي تَأَلَّمَ مِنْ جَسَدِكَ، وَقُلْ بِاسْمِ اللهِ ثَلَاثًا، وَقُلْ سَبْعَ مَرَّاتٍ أَعُوذُ بِاللهِ وَقُدْرَتِهِ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا أَجِدُ وَأُحَاذِرُ»