Title: Purchasing a Phone Named 'Idol'

Question

I am trying my best to stay halal, work halal, buy halal. Recently I am in need of a smartphone that will suit for my needs and as most smartphones are very expensive and either android based or apple based, however I come to know of a phone by Alcatel called Alcatel IDOL 4 which is a Windows based phone and has the functions that I need. The price is very low compared to other smartphones with similar feautures. The problem is the Name. "IDOL". As I know the literal meaning of "IDOL" is, "an image or representation of a god used as an object of worship", knowing this, would this phone be a Halal choice for me or any Muslim to purchase?

This is an Unique question, and I would highly appreciate it if you can help me with this. Jazakum Allahu Khairan. 

Answer

Your endeavour to maintain Halal in everything is a sign of your Allah consciousness. May Allah keep you steadfast. Ameen.

We have researched the name IDOL. It does not have any religious connotations. It is permissible for you to purchase a phone with that name. However, if you feel uneasy and the name will make you feel uncomfortable, you should consider an alternative.

Ridhwan Ur Rahman

Cardiff, Wales, UK