Title: Working with male co-workers

Question

Asalamoulaikum, I have been working in a primary school as a teaching assistant for a few years. I went to an all girls course in order to obtain the qualification. I have chosen this profession as the working environment as it involved only women. I am very happy to be working in this environment but recently the school have employed 3 men. One of whom is the teacher I am working alongside on a daily basis. I am still working with groups if children who have special needs but under his guidance which means that I have to give home feedback verbally daily. So my question is...is my income halal through this employment? If not what should I do with the incoming wage for this year. May Allah reward you all. Jazakhair Muslim sister

Answer

It is clear from the details of your query, your education and career choices that you are aware and sensitive to segregation of males and females.

Your income is in lieu of your service to the school. You will be entitled to the income and your income will be halal.[1]

However, the issue of interaction with the males is of concern and detrimental to one’s spirituality. You may express your discomfort with the administration and request for an adjustment in that regard.

Saad Haque

New Jersey, USA 

[1] فتاوى محمودية جلد١٩ ص١٨٤ – جامعة فاروقية