Asked Country: Canada

Title: Is Adderall Haram?

Question

Assalamu Alaikum,

My name is Munir, I'm currently a university student in canada. I wish to ask a question regarding the use of Adderall to help with studying for my tests and midterms. I have recently been struggling in University due to the fact that I cannot focus in lectures and I cannot focus on my school work. This is not due to external destractions, but internal. I find myself always getting bored easly and most of the time struggling to stay awake. I used Adderall for the first time yesterday and I was able to take down all my notes and complete almost all of my school work in a single night. I'm surprised with myself and also disapointed that I did think to ask if Adderall is Haram before taking it. However, if it is Haram I will no longer take it. I got the medication from a friend of mine not as a prescription.

I hope you find this well, as well as not too long

Thank You

Answer

Adderall is an amphetamine, which is a type of stimulant. It is commonly prescribed for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy. Because it suppresses the appetite and stimulates the metabolism, it is also used for weight loss. Others take Adderall for the high it can produce; it is highly addictive. Furthermore, Adderall has a host of side effects which are detrimental to one’s health. Using it without the guidance of a doctor may cause serious bodily injury. Using Adderall without a prescription is illegal.

It is clear from the above that Adderall is a drug used for specific medical conditions and has a high potential for abuse. Thus, it has been legally regulated through prescription. Hence, it is impermissible to use Adderall without prescription. As Muslims, we are bound to uphold the laws of the country which are not contrary to Shari’ah. As such, one should endeavor to respect and follow the laws of the country.[1]

Furthermore, the active ingredients in Adderall are mixed salts of a single entity amphetamine which are Halal to consume on condition that they are prescribed. The inactive ingredients in Adderall include magnesium stearate which could be derived from animal or non-animal sources. One would have to call the company and enquire the source of the magnesium stearate used in the pills. If it is derived from animal sources, it will be Haram to consume. If it is derived from non-animal sources, it will be Halal to consume.[2]

Abdullah ibn Mohammed Aijaz

Baltimore, USA