Asked Country: Qatar

Title: Can I name my child Aliza?

Question

As salam alaikum.

I am planning to keep my new born daughter name as  ALIZA.inshaallah.

I want to know how good is ths name.is it good to keep this name and what is the meaning of this name in arabic.

as they say name effects the person.so am little worried about this name.

please suggest.

jazakallah khair

Answer

Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wa- sallam has ordered us to keep good names.

Refer to the following hadeeth:

إنّكم تُدعَوْنَ يومَ القيامَةِ باسمائِكُم وأسماءِ آبائكُم، فاحسِنُوا أسماءكم 

Translation:

“You shall all be called upon on the day of judgement by your names and the names of your respective fathers. Keep good names for yourselves”[1]

[Shuab-Al-Imaan 11/116 Maktaba Rushd]  

Naming a person is not just about naming and creating an identity. As Muslims, when we name our children after the names of the prophets, sahabi, sahabiya and pious servants of Allah, it also serves as a reminder to one of the values of these great luminaries. Keeping such names, have the potential to revolutionize the nation. When every second person is named after an illustrious prophet or illustrious sahabi or sahabiya, this will give rise to the value system of such people by studying those personalities and going deeper into what they represented. As Muslims, we should adhere to keeping Islamic names to advance the Islamic value that goes with the name.

We are unable to find the meaning of the name Aleeza in Arabic books. It is more like a western sounding name. Hence, it’s against the spirit of Islam to name the child Aleeza.

Ridwaan Ibn Khalid Esmail [Kasak]

Katete, Zambia

Mufti Husain Kadodia

السنن الكبرى للبيهقي (9/ 515)

خْبَرَنَا أَبُو الْعَبَّاسِ الْفَضْلُ بْنُ عَلِيِّ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ الْإِسْفِرَايِينِيُّ، أنبأ أَبُو سَهْلٍ بِشْرُ بْنُ أَحْمَدَ , ثنا إِبْرَاهِيمُ بْنُ عَلِيٍّ الذُّهْلِيُّ، ثنا يَحْيَى بْنُ يَحْيَى، أنبأ هُشَيْمٌ، عَنْ دَاوُدَ بْنِ عَمْرٍو، عَنْ عَبْدِ اللهِ بْنِ أَبِي زَكَرِيَّا الْخُزَاعِيِّ، عَنْ أَبِي الدَّرْدَاءِ رَضِيَ اللهُ عَنْهُ قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: " إِنَّكُمْ تُدْعَوْنَ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ

بِأَسْمَائِكُمْ وَأَسْمَاءِ آبَائِكُمْ , فَأَحْسِنُوا أَسْمَاءَكُمْ