Asked Country: Netherlands

Title: We don’t have a sexual relationship!

Question

Assalam Aleikum Imam,
I've been married for 6 years with my husband. And we've since our wedding no sexeule relationship. Only a few times because I forced him. But in the last 5 years he dont want to make love.
I know, this is absluut not normal and I have tried to talk a lot with him but nothing helps.
I really tried everything, but he says, i have no interest in sex.

Please help me what should i do?
My second question is: What are my rights as a married woman?
My third question: what says Quran about this?
Thank you.   

Answer

We take note of the contents of your email.

You state that your marriage is 6 years old. You complain of non-cooperation from your husband in intimate relationship. It should be understood that intimate relationship is a mutual relationship where both spouses fulfil their desires as well as fulfil each other’s desires.

In an intimate relationship, the positive state of the heart, mind and body of both spouses are important. If one spouse has an urge and the other does not, the relationship will not be fulfilling. It is precisely for that reason Shariah has encouraged foreplay to warm up one’s spouse to be able to positively respond. The physical and biological state of the body plays an important role in intimate relationship.

It is possible that there may be a medical reason for your husband’s low libido and it would be wise for him to see a qualified medical practitioner. You may also visit a sex therapist, a psychotherapist that specializes in sexual issues, who can advise you further. You may also consult an Aamil (an expert in removing effects of black magic).

Huzaifah Deedat