Title: Quran tilawat message on a WhatsApp family group

Question

اسلام عليكم و رحمة لله و بركاته Respected Mufti Saheb, I trust that you are well. I would like to find out with regards to the following; We have a family group on whatsapp.Recently, I encouraged everyone to recite a full quran as esaale sawaab for my mother. This was random and it was done solely as an act of encouragement without any compulsion on any member. We understand that there may be members who are not in a position to recite quran. There is no report back regarding who completed or not. There is also no fixed day, date or time. Is it permissible? Kindly Advise Jazakallah Khair

Answer

If you sent out a whatsapp message merely to encourage family members to make a Quran Khatam individually for your deceased mother without following a custom and specific procedure, then that is not prohibited. It is similar to verbally encouraging others to do acts of virtue. However, in doing so, the common whatsapp family group procedure should not be adopted.

Ibn Jibran Kadarkhan

Mauritius