Title: Does a traveller have to pray Jumu’ah? Is there any Shari’ah compliant car insurance (Amanah Insurance)? Is there any Shari’ah compliant provident/pension fund?

Question

Salaams,

I have 3 questions.

1) InshaAllah my family and I will be going away for a 3 day holiday in December (approxmiately 300km away from home).  We return on a Friday (in order to read Jummuah, either en route home or at a mosque in the area where I reside).  However we are considering extending our holiday by an extra day (this means that I will need to perform Jummuah on the Friday).  There does not seem to be any mosques in the area where we will InshaAllah be.  Can I read Zuhr instead on the Friday OR should I return home on the Friday to InshaAllah read Jummuah on the way home in one of the mosques.

2) I intend to switch my car insurance to a shariah compliant one.  Do you have any recommendations? Is ammanah insrurance (with Zurich) halaal?  Their link is http://www.ammanah.co.za/ammanah-ifs-starts-with-its-new-takaful-partner-zurich-insurance/ 

3) I also InshaAllah intend to switch my pension/provident fund to a halaal one.  Do you have any recommendations?

JazakaAllah Khair.

Answer

We take note of the multiple queries in your question. Hereunder are the answers:

1. Since you are a Shar’i Musafir (a traveler according to Shari’ah), you are not obliged to perform Jumu’ah. Thus, you do not have to return early to perform Jumu’ah and you may perform Zuhr instead.[1]

1. We are unable to recommend any car insurance company as the Darul Iftaa has not certified any car insurance company as Shari’ah compliant.[2]

We cannot comment on the Shari’ah compliancy of Ammanah Insurance as of yet.[3] You may send all related documents to admin@daruliftaa.net in order for us to issue a ruling on its Shari’ah compliancy.

1. We are unable to recommend any pension/provident fund as the Darul Iftaa has not certified any pension/provident fund as Shari’ah compliant.[4] We are in the process of certifying a Shari’ah compliant pension fund. We will make a public announcement on that.

Abdullah ibn Mohammed Aijaz

Baltimore, USA 

منحة السلوك في شرح تحفة الملوك (ص: 187) [1] 

ويباح السفر يوم الجمعة قبل الزوال وبعده

مختصر القدوري (ص: 40)

ولا تجب الجمعة على مسافر ولا امرأة ولا مريض ولا عبد ولا أعمى فإن حضروا وصلوا مع الناس أجزاهم عن فرض الوقت

ويجوز للمسافر والعبد والمريض ونحوهم أن يؤم في الجمعة