Title: Is removing body hair due to necessity permissible?

Question

Mens hair

I have a lot of hair on chest, shoulders, biceps and back.

1) It gets painful for me when i need to apply some medicine, vapour etc. or even on hand contact with the chest.

2) Back hair itches me sometimes either when its sweated or rubbed.

As you mentioned in your fatwas that if there is a need, then it is permissible

Question

1) Do the condition 1) and 2) fall in the definition of need?

2) If it is established that need exists, then would removing hair would still remain undesirable or removing them would be better than not? 

Answer

In general, the removing of the hair from the chest and back is undesirable. It is not prohibited.  If it is possible for you to keep the hair and overcome the discomfort you experience, then you should do that. If you decide to remove the hair due to the discomfort, then that would not be undesirable.

Ridwaan Ibn Khalid Esmail [Kasak]

Katete, Zambia

الفتاوى الهندية - ط. دار الفكر (5/ 358)

وفي حلق شعر الصدر والظهر ترك الأدب كذا في القنية

الناشر دار الفكر

سنة النشر 1411هـ - 1991

الدر المختار وحاشية ابن عابدين (رد المحتار) (6/ 407)

الناشر: دار الفكر-بيروت

الطبعة: الثانية، 1412هـ - 1992م